Archive -- New England 2017 Regional NARP Meeting - Springfield, MA
Saturday, August 19, 2017 11:00 AM Saturday, August 19, 2017 3:00 PM
'A Connected New England'
Presented By The National Association of Railroad Passengers
Saturday, August 19, 2017
11:00am - 3:00pm
Ballroom North - Third Floor
Springfield is at a crossroads, both literally and figuratively. From the remodeled Union Station to the under-construction MGM Casino, major investments are being made in Springfield’s civic and economic growth. And geographically, Springfield is a key connecting point between the Boston area and upstate New York, as well as between Western Connecticut and Vermont. Join us as we discuss the role of passenger rail in connecting these regions and the economic development that inevitably follows such investments. Among other issues, we’ll discuss the need to extend the MBTA’s commuter rail west from Worcester to Springfield, as well as the need to run more frequent service north and south along the “knowledge corridor” between Springfield and Greenfield via Holyoke and Northampton. A Connected New England benefits the entire region, and Springfield is key.
Pioneer Valley Planning Commission
National Association of Railroad Passengers
Meeting Program Includes A Complete Hot Lunch Buffet
- Regular Attendee Registration - $50.00 (On-Line or At Door)
- Student Attendee Registration - $25.00
- Sponsor Level Registration - $100.00
On Site Registration Will Be Available On Saturday
SPRINGFIELD UNION STATION TOURS
For meeting attendees, a general post-meeting tour of the newly-remodeled Springfield Union Station will be available at 3:30pm.
A pre-meeting tour at 9:30am is available by specific advance request. If you are interested in a tour at this time please contact Tom Girsch at [email protected] to reserve a spot.
For those wishing to arrive early and spend Friday night in Springfield, there’s a limited block of discounted rooms set aside for just $119/night plus tax. To reserve a room, call the Sheraton Springfield Monarch Place at (413) 263-2010, ask for reservations, and tell them that you’re attending the Rail Passengers Association meeting. Discounted rooms are limited, and reservations must be made before August 7.
The Sheraton Springfield Monarch Place is offering discounted parking for meeting attendees. Registered attendees will pay a flat $7 for all-day parking; overnight guests with the group will pay $17.
There is also parking available at the Union Station Garage, but this is hourly and likely to be more expansive.
ARRIVING BY TRAIN
The Sheraton Monarch Place is an approximately 12 - 15 minutes walk from Springfield Union Station!
From Vermont, Holyoke, Greenfield, Northampton:
- Arrive via Vermonter 55 on Friday at 2:50 PM, spend the night
- Return via Vermonter 54, departing Springfield Union Station at 3:15 PM on Saturday
From Connecticut and points south:
- Arrive into Springfield via Thruway Bus 3450 at 10:03 AM on Saturday (Departs New Haven at 8:42 AM)
- Return via Thruway Bus 3467, departing Springfield Union Station at 5:27 PM on Saturday (Arriving New Haven at 7:00pm)
NOTE: The New Haven to Springfield Shuttle Trains are NOT Operating on Saturday, August 19!
From Pittsfield, Albany and points West:
- Arrive via Lake Shore Limited #448 on Friday at 5:28 PM*, spend the night
- Return via Lake Shore Limited #449, departing Springfield on Saturday at 3:23 PM
From Worcester, Framingham and Boston:
- Arrive via Lake Shore Limited #449 on Friday, arriving at 3:18 PM, spend the night
- Return via Lake Shore Limited #448, departing Springfield on Saturday at 5:33 PM*
* - IMPORTANT: The eastbound Lake Shore Limited often runs late, so plan accordingly.
"We would not be in the position we’re in if it weren’t for the advocacy of so many of you, over a long period of time, who have believed in passenger rail, and believe that passenger rail should really be a part of America’s intermodal transportation system."
Secretary Ray LaHood, U.S. Department of Transportation
2011 Spring Council Meeting