for more information.
(click to email), (502) 776-1967
ROUTE SUPPORT GROUPS
Advocates of Transit, High Speed Rail and Balanced Transportation
National & Canada
- Carbusters...international organization promoting alternatives to “car culture,” including mass transit and rail
- Center for Neighborhood Technology...a group located in Chicago concerned about sustainable transportation policy, including rail, with many other resources
- Center for Transportation Excellence...a non-partisan policy research center that includes rebuttal information about common criticisms of rail transit
- Community Transportation Association of America...a non-profit organization whose members are dedicated to mobility for all people, advocating affordable and accessible community transportation. Publishers of RAIL Magazine
- Culture Change...hilighting issues surrounding peak oil and conservation
- Environmental Law and Policy Center...a Midwestern public interest environmental advocacy organization working to achieve cleaner energy resources and implement sustainable energy strategies, promote innovative and efficient transportation and land use approaches - including high-speed rail
- Friends of Amtrak...Internet effort to support continued Amtrak funding, by Craig S. O'Connell.
- Friends of the Earth Amtrak Blog...moderated by Colin Peppard, Friends of the Earth Transportation Policy Coordinator
- High Speed Rail Canada...national citizens' advocacy group
- Light Rail Now..."charitable educational enterprise designed to support efforts both within North America and worldwide to develop and improve light rail transit (LRT) and other rail transit and mass transportation systems."
- MassTransport.com...a portal site for “users of international public transportation,” including in the U.S.
- National Corridors Initiative...business, environmental, government, academic leaders advancing rail-corridor development as economic development, congestion mitigation, and environmental tools; linking those corridors into a network that maintains a true national rail system a high priority
- National Station Car Association...lots of interesting information on proposals to have electric cars available at mass transit stations for use by transit riders
- OneRail Coalition...a coalition of freight, passenger, transit, environmental and labor groups, OneRail advocates for increased investment in the nation’s railroad infrastructure to ensure our continued mobility, economic competitiveness and job creation, as well as to meet the energy and climate challenges of the 21st century
- Rail Users Network...representing long-distance, commuter and transit riders.
- States for Passenger Rail Coalition...organization representing state departments of transportation that seek to grow and improve the passenger train network with federal and state support.
- Surface Transportation Policy Project...STPP wants intercity and local rail to have a strong presence in transportation public policy.
- Transport 2000 Canada...The national group for users of public transportation in Canada, including rail and transit
- US High Speed Rail Association..."the only organization in America focused entirely on advancing a state-of-the-art national high-speed rail network across the country."
- Victoria Transport Policy Institute...a research organization in Canada but which writes frequently about US transportation issues
State and Local
- Alliance for Sustainable Transit and Jobs...group providing constructive public input in support of California High Speed Rai
- BayRail Alliance...an all-volunteer transit consumer group working to promote an upgraded and expanded rail service in the Bay Area (formerly Peninsula Rail 2000)
- Capitol Corridor Commuters: Sacramento/Davis to Bay Area Riders.
- Capitol Corridor Riders: Sacramento/Davis to Auburn Riders. 530-305-2599; Fax 530-328-1773
- Coast Rail Now: Santa Barbara & Ventura Counties. 805-875-3562
- Friends 4 Expo Transit...Citizens working for a light rail option in the Los Angeles Mid-City/Westside transit corridor, now partially open
- Friends Of Light Rail: Sacramento County. 916-978-4045
: Marin & Sonoma Counties. 707-322-5692
- Los Angeles Rail Transit...the “Union Station” site is a private site with information on intercity, commuter, light rail and subway services
: Mendocino & Humboldt Counties. 707-459-9220
- Modern Transit Society...Group promoting transit and rail use with chapters in Sacramento, Fresno, Davis, Napa/Sonoma, East Bay, South Bay, San Francisco and Los Angeles
- Rescue MUNI: San Francisco. 415-273-1558
- Sacramento Valley Rail Group: Sacramento Valley. 530-222-6756
- The Transit Coalition (greater Los Angeles)
- TransForm (San Francisco Bay Area)
- Transportation Solutions Defense & Education Fund: San Francisco Bay Area. 415-380-8600
- VTA Riders Union: Santa Clara County 408-888-2208
- Front Range On Track...advocates for passenger train service between Albuquerque, Pueblo, Denver, Boulder and Cheyenne
- Lackawanna Coalition...focuses on issues related to New Jersey Transit’s Morris & Essex lines (e.g. schedule enhancements and station improvements).
- Light Rail Now!...Grassroots group promoting future light rail service in Austin
- TransDominion Express...Information on proposed intercity passenger rail service from Bristol to Roanoke, Lynchburg, and Washington/Richmond
Outside the United States and Canada
- Railfuture - “The independent campaign for a better passenger and freight rail network” in the United Kingdom.
- Rail Users Ireland - Organization representing thousands of rail users across all 26 counties in the Republic of Ireland, working for improved infrastructure and service.
- Pro Bahn - Organization of German rail passengers
- Verkehrs-Club der Schweiz (VCS) (“Traffic Club of Switzerland”) Organization promoting sustainable transportation in Switzerland, including walking, cycling and public transit, supporting “an optimal combination of different transport modes.” (Note: Website is in German. English translation here.)