House Transportation & Infrastructure Chairman John Mica (R-FL) told reporters that he is expecting to hold at least one hearing on Amtrak before Congress breaks for the August recess.
“We're looking at two areas: One is food service, and the other is contracts," Mica told reporters. “[Amtrak food concessions are] are costing a fortune. They're losing money. They're supposed to turn it around."
As has been previously reported by NARP, former Amtrak Executive Vice President – Transportation William Crosbie addressed this issue in a June 9, 2005 hearing on Amtrak food service convened by the Railroads Subcommittee: “Amtrak’s food and beverage service is a fundamental part of the service that we offer on the majority of the trains that we operate on a daily basis. Its primary purpose is to enhance ticket sales and ridership, not serve as a profit center.” (Translation: no food service, huge loss of ridership, and not just on the long-distance trains. But it’s hard to make money when your clientele is limited to people on one train.) Read NARP President Ross Capon’s prepared testimony for the 2005 hearing for more information. The entire hearing is available here.
Chairman Mica also indicated that he was considering taking up a stand-alone rail title in the wake of the recently passed surface transportation reauthorization. The Senate version of the surface transportation bill had a rail title that included many positive passenger rail provisions—like creation of a 100% federal grant program for improvements to or preservation of routes over 750 miles long. However, those provisions were stripped from the final bill during negotiations.
Representative Bill Shuster (R-PA), Chair of the T&I Subcommittee on Railroads, said high-speed rail may also get a hearing, indicating that House Republicans are in discussions about the hearing’s agenda.
California Governor
Jerry Brown (D) signed the high speed rail funding bill July 18. Appropriately, Governor Brown signed the bill
in separate ceremonies at the line’s two endpoints: first in
“This legislation will help put thousands of people in
Governor Brown also addressed the projects critics, who he
derided as “NIMBYs,” “fearful men,” and “declinists.” “It’s taken that long to get this going,” said the governor in

The moment was one of triumph for millions of Californians from every walk of life. Representing the business community, San Francisco Chamber of Commerce CEO Steve Falk penned an op-ed column for the San Francisco Examiner, saying the time for high-speed rail is now:
At a time when statewide
unemployment continues to linger at 11 percent, high-speed rail is the right
plan for
The blended approach to building the system, which leverages existing track on the Peninsula and in the Los Angeles Basin, is not only the most cost-effective plan; it provides much-needed investment in existing urban rail systems that will ultimately connect with high-speed rail. In the Bay Area, these investments include: $600 million for Caltrain electrification, $61 million for Muni’s Central Subway extension and $140 million to help replace aging BART cars.
The signing ceremony came two days after the California
High-Speed Rail Authority (CAHSRA) released a revised draft environmental
impact report for the 114-mile segment between
“The revised environmental document we release today
responds to many of the public’s initial concerns and feedback which were drawn
from communities throughout the
CAHSRA believes it will be able to submit requests for proposals in September of this year. The state will undoubtedly have to confront lawsuits from the project’s opponents, which are already being filed.
The Northeast Corridor Commission
(NECC) held its first public meeting yesterday, gathering together government
and stakeholder representatives from across the northeastern
Mandated in the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2008, the NECC was tasked with creating and implementing a comprehensive, long-term regional investment strategy for the Northeast Corridor (NEC). The commission is comprised of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, the District of Columbia, Amtrak, and the U.S. Department of Transportation (along with nonvoting members, including four freight railroads, five connecting states, and one commuter agency).
The meeting was attended by U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, Senators Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) and Thomas Carper (D-DE), Representatives John Mica (R-FL) and Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), along with representatives from Amtrak, NARP, and dozens of other stakeholder groups.
Secretary LaHood kicked off the event, and his message was clear: high-speed rail is the next big thing in American transportation. LaHood wrote about the commission’s work on the Secretary’s Fast Lane blog today:
The NECC meeting is the first time that we’ve had DOT, Amtrak and representatives from every state in the corridor at the same table, planning for the future of this region. This partnership represents our commitment to a unified vision for the Northeast Corridor—and that vision includes speed.
The Northeast Corridor is in a unique position for the growth of high speed rail. Home to one in seven Americans, the region is densely populated with an established rail market. It's an ideal candidate for further high-speed rail development.
With 17 percent of the
That challenge also represents a great opportunity: the NEC
links four of the ten largest metropolitan areas in the U.S. (Boston, New York,
Philadelphia, and Washington), with four out of ten metropolitan areas with the
highest number of hours lost in traffic, and seven out of ten of the worst U.S.
airports for on-time arrival. And with
the corridor accounting for 20 percent of
Amtrak debriefed the NECC on its 2012 update for it Vision
for the Northeast Corridor. By
identifying near-term choke points—such as the 100-year-old
The next step will center on reviewing how upgrades to the corridor will impact communities and the environment, and will involve soliciting public input.
Japanese rail car
manufacturer Nippon Sharyo Manufacturing opened its first U.S. plant yesterday
in Rochelle, Illinois, another step forward in the ongoing passenger rail industry
renaissance taking place in
The meeting was attended by Nippon Sharyo officials, Illinois Governor Pat Quinn, Federal Railroad Deputy Administrator Karen Hedlund, and a number of local officials. There was traditional Japanese drumming and a good-luck toast from a cask of sake rice-wine.
“I am committed to growing our manufacturing industry,
increasing foreign investment and bringing high-speed rail to
The modern, 465,000-square-foot facility cost $50 million to
construct, and will have the capacity to produce 120 rail cars each year. The plant’s first task will be to manufacture
160 "Highliner" rail cars for the Metra Electric Line, replacing
aging equipment that has survived from the old Illinois Central Railroad in the
1970s. The cars will cost $585 million,
and will be funded through Governor Quinn’s
With the Rochelle plant in place, Nippon Sharyo rail cars
will meet Made in
Following a
mechanical malfunction, Amtrak was able to reopen the
“Amtrak apologizes for the inconvenience caused by this incident,” spokesman Cliff Cole said in a statement.
Crews recently lowered the new span into place, and the structure compressed more than models predicted, forcing crews to realign the span.
Mechanisms on the old
The next significant work on the bridge is scheduled for November.
CSX Corporation reported second quarter net earnings this week, another sign of the freight rail sector’s resiliency in the face of the country’s ongoing economic woes. The positive earnings report were in spite of the continuing decline in demand for coal, which is an important part of Class I railroads’ portfolios.
CSX, the largest freight railroad in the eastern
The Financial Times
report yesterday said Class I railroads earnings have been buoyed by a
resurgent
Deaths on
According to the NHTSA’s report, released today, more than
7,630 people died on
Governors Highway Safety Association executive director Barbara Harsha issued a press release responding to the announcement:
“We are disappointed in the news but not particularly surprised. As NHTSA notes, unprecedented gains have been made since 2006 in reducing traffic deaths. So, from that low baseline, an increase is not unexpected. While it is too early to draw conclusions about the data and the reasons for the increase, the strengthening economy and the warm winter may be factors.”
While road fatalities have decreased sharply in the past few years, motor vehicle accidents are still the leading cause of death for children and young adults (ages 3 to 34).