Hotline #255 - August 9, 2002

"A large majority of Americans favor continuing federal subsidies to Amtrak," according to an August 5 Washington Post story. The story discusses a poll performed by the paper from July 26 to July 30, which was after Congress approved $205 million in supplemental funding for Amtrak operations through fiscal 2002, and after the Senate Appropriations Committee approved $1.2 billion for Amtrak in 2003.

There were 1,012 randomly selected, adult respondents to the poll, which has a margin of error of three percentage points. Those called were first told that "... Amtrak lost over a billion dollars last year and relies on loans and subsidies from the federal government to keep running." They were asked to pick from three options on what to do about Amtrak -- 51% said to keep federal funding at current levels, 20% said to increase funding ("even if it means Amtrak might lose more money"), and 17% said to end all aid ("even if it means that passenger train service in some parts of the country will be shut down").

A second, follow-up question went to the 51% who said to keep funding at current levels -- "If you had to choose, are you more inclined to end all federal aid to Amtrak or to increase federal aid to Amtrak?" Of the 51%, 58% said they leaned toward an increase, and 29% said they leaned toward ending all funding. The Post went on to say that combining the results of the two questions means that 49% lean toward or are in favor of more Amtrak funding, 31% lean toward or favor cutting Amtrak, and 7% favor current funding. Both Democrats and Republicans were more likely to favor increased funding, as were members of every age group.

The article had a reaction from the Bush Administration, saying that the poll should have asked people's opinions on things like operational efficiencies and state partnerships. Still, one would hope that a poll like this would help Administration leaders focus on how to get more service, not just on how to minimize the federal funding role.

The key message to all legislators while the House and Senate are in summer recess (with many members back in their home districts or state) -- Get $1.2 billion for Amtrak in fiscal 2003. Even though the Senate Appropriations Committee approved this level (in S.2808), much work remains to be done, given opposition to it in the House and the Bush Administration. Also working against us is the fact that the compromise that trimmed down the supplemental appropriations bill, enabling its passage, including cutting homeland security money that the Administration wanted and will continue to push for in the 2003 appropriations bill. Click here for ways to contact legislators.

President Bush signed into law on August 2 the emergency supplemental appropriations bill, H.R.4775 (making it Public Law number 107-206). The many provisions in this bill included $205 million for Amtrak operations through the rest of this fiscal year (through September 30).

NARP issued a statement on August 5 relating to CSX's reaction to the Capitol Limited derailment of July 29. The systemwide requirement that passenger trains go 10 mph slower than normal manifest freight train speeds -- that is, the same speed as manifest freights during hot weather --- may be an overreaction to an accident that more likely was caused by the premature lifting of a 15-mph slow order one day after track work where the derailment occurred. CSX's current approach is more stringent than what other railroads do and means on hot days passenger trains go slower than CSX intermodal freight trains. NARP wants those involved to examine "the relationship between very hot weather and the process of removing trackwork-related slow orders."

MARC, in particular, suffered from the CSX issues into this week. To make matters still worse, on August 5, a computer breakdown at CSX's dispatching center in Jacksonville, followed by a failure to fax out train orders, crippled MARC's afternoon schedule. MARC ridership on CSX lines was off 40% going into this week. Operations improved later in the week as Washington's heat wave lifted -- but the heat is returning to Washington this weekend.

Amtrak's Acela Express July on-time performance was 74%, an all-time low. During July, 29 trains were cancelled, and six annulled en-route, due to mechanical problems. As a result, Amtrak may make some schedule changes south of New York, slightly reducing Acela Express service. Amtrak President David Gunn told the Washington Post that he would order no more such trains in the future, though he said Amtrak might order more cars for the train sets. Capacity on each Acela Express train was planned for 345 when the trains were ordered in 1996; and later was cut to 304 due to FRA-imposed safety requirements -- but the Post points out that some of the Metroliners they replaced have been carrying over 400 per trip.

Amtrak accepted the 18 trains from manufacturer Bombardier conditionally, to get them into service quickly. But, since each train needs a different set of "fixes," getting everything right will take longer. To avoid expanding the problem, Amtrak recently refused to accept the 19th train. A total of 20 sets was ordered.

Nevertheless, the trains are popular with passengers -- when they work properly -- and have played a key role in the ridership increases the Northeast Corridor has experienced. In June, in spite of well publicized threats to Amtrak's continued operations, combined Acela Express/Metroliner ridership was up 16% from a year ago (and revenues up 35%); Acela Regional ridership was down 5% (and revenues flat). Acela Express/Metroliner ridership was up 23% in May.

Another train set with delays has been the Turbotrain, a New York State project. Seven sets are being rebuilt by Super Steel in Schenectady, N.Y. The first set was delivered to Amtrak at Rensselaer on August 8, for an anticipated 30 days of test running. Assuming tests are completed successfully, Amtrak is expected to accept delivery and start revenue service. Super Steel plans to release the next set in about three months, and have all seven done by the end of 2003. The trains are about two years late, partly due to lengthy removal of asbestos and lead paint from the 1970's-era equipment. Total costs have risen from $65 million to about $95 million.

Amtrak released a report on the July 30 incident in which a passenger had a fatal heart attack on an MBTA commuter train (operated by Amtrak under contract) headed for Boston. The report, released August 3, concludes that the conductor was "in error" for not holding the train at West Newton to wait for emergency response or, alternatively, for not requesting CSX dispatcher permission to run the train express to Back Bay. The conductor had the train proceed to Back Bay, making two intermediate stops, in the belief that it would be easier and quicker to transfer the man to an ambulance there. The report also said the conductor did not notify dispatchers quickly enough of the true nature of the emergency. The report's finding was expected to lead to disciplinary action against the conductor as early as this week. MBTA is reviewing safety and emergency response policies, and Amtrak has told employees in its New England Division to stop trains at the next station, in such cases.

Meanwhile, defibrillators -- machines that can treat heart-attack victims until medical personnel arrive -- are becoming more common in public places, and may become very common in the next 5-10 years. There are now portable defibrillators that cost $3000, weigh under five pounds, and can be operated in an emergency by non-medical personnel (i.e., bystanders) who follow automated verbal instructions written at a sixth-grade comprehension level. Studies of putting defibrillators in more public places are ongoing. They are now required on airplanes. After they were installed at O'Hare Airport in Chicago, the survival rate for sudden heart attacks jumped to 69% (compared to 2% in the rest of the city). Washington Metro has defibrillators, and Amtrak has a pilot program for them.

Bicycle and baggage carriage shrank again this week with the elimination of the Amtrak baggage car on the Vermonter. All points north of New Haven lose all checked baggage service (except Springfield still has it east-west only, on the Lake Shore Limited). Vermont, which earlier this year had roll-on bike access to 100% of its train service, now has no such service left. Amtrak cited its cash problems and low usage of the services.

The Southwest Chief will be the location of the premier showing of a new documentary on the Amtrak train's illustrious predecessor, the Santa Fe Railway's Super Chief. This will take place on the eastbound train's departure from Albuquerque on August 15. The film is entitled "Super Chief:  Speed, Style, Service," narrated by actor Michael Gross. He and producer Richard Luckin will personally introduce the film and discuss passenger rail history with Amtrak passengers. Luckin also will show the film on the westbound Chief when it leaves Chicago on August 17. Tapes of the documentary will be available on board.

Railroad watercolor artist Ted Rose passed away at his home in Santa Fe, N.Mex., on July 26, aged 61. He was well known for his commission of a series of railroad locomotive postage stamps a few years ago. Rose, a native of Milwaukee, was a member of NARP.

Maine has new Amtrak Thruway bus services since August 1, in partnership with Concord Trailways. Buses connect with Downeaster trains in Portland. There are two routes connecting Portland and Bangor with daily service -- non-stop via I-95, three times a day, taking two hours; and with several stops via (mostly) US 1, twice a day, taking four hours. Other seasonal and/or Sunday service runs along US 1, and also serves Bowdoin College (Brunswick) and the University of Maine (Orono). An Amtrak bulletin said that schedules and fares were already in Arrow, but they could not be pulled up on Amtrak's web site as of August 9.

VIA Rail Canada will reroute its overnight Toronto-Montreal night train, the Enterprise, through Ottawa on October 27. The train uses two Renaissance train sets, part of a larger fleet that VIA bought from Alstom a couple of years ago. The Renaissance cars have somewhat smaller dimensions than most North American cars, and were built for English Channel tunnel sleeping car services to British points north of London. Though the cars were built, the British routes never entered service. VIA began using the cars on the Enterprise on June 23, and plans to convert the Ocean and Chaleur to Renaissance equipment in 2003.

Transport Canada is considering a rail-renewal program in the range of $1.25-1.88 billion to be used to improve various types of rail infrastructure over four-to-eight years, according to the Ottawa Citizen (August 3). The purpose of the investment would be to help Canada cut greenhouse gas emissions, cut truck traffic at snarled border crossings, and help the finances of short-line railroads. Investment items being considered would include strengthening short lines to handle heavier freight cars, upgraded traffic control systems, and more grade-separations in urban areas. While not specifically targeted at the country's passenger carrier, VIA Rail, passenger rail would be helped by the initiative to the extent that investments are made in lines used by VIA's trains.

РіРѕСЂРѕСЃРєРѕРї телефонная база телефонная база данных алматы ссылка телефонный справочник СЃРІСЏР·Рё beeline справочник телефонов кировограда база данных номера мобильных телефонов Р Р† санкт - петербурге тут найти номер телефона Р Р† англии справочник телефонов Р Р† запорожской совместимость РіРѕСЂРѕСЃРєРѕРїРѕРІ РѕРІРЅР° Р С‘ СЃРєРѕСЂРїРёРѕРЅР° сотовый телефонный справочник 2012 узнать адрес РІРѕ владивостоке Р С—Р С• фамилии биллайн телефонная Р Р…Р В° сайте как телефонная база здесь sitemap