The huge snowstorm in the Midwest last weekend challenged all travelers, including those on Amtrak. The snowfall was big and came during a short time. Milwaukee, for example, had the most snow in one storm since 1947. The following days had bitter cold and wind and brought snow drifts to many areas and additional lake-effect snow in Indiana and Michigan.
Only the Hiawathas and Illinois Zephyr had minor delays. Throughout the week, there were some cancellations -- including two pairs of Detroit trains and one Milwaukee pair today. Many other trains were very late, including most trains to the East Coast. Amtrak's Chicago yards were without electricity late on January 1, into the morning of January 2.
The South Shore was closed January 3, while Metra ran with delays. Chicago's rapid transit system remains hobbled by many cars out of service with snow and ice damage. The O'Hare line has been shut down since early January 5 when a highway snowplow hit a concrete barrier that hit the third rail.
The Washington Post reported yesterday that Amtrak may have to pay $12 million for additional right-of-way improvements to let the new American Flyer tilting high-speed train sets meet the required New York-Boston three-hour trip time. The story said the cars are four inches too wide to meet safety requirements allowing two trains to pass safely on adjacent tracks. However, later yesterday, Amtrak issued a release with separate quotes from Amtrak President George Warrington and the president of Bombardier's U.S. subsidiary, Peter Stangl. Warrington said he was "confident that the trains will meet all our travel time goals as specified in our contract." Stangl said Bombardier is "compliant with all performance specifications, including trip times, outlined by Amtrak." Stangl also said the cars' width is needed to "meet certain interior requirements" in Amtrak's specifications.
Incidentally, NARP has learned that Amtrak does not plan to stop high-speed trains at Back Bay station in Boston, and has urged Amtrak to reconsider.
The new Talgo train sets will enter revenue service on the Cascades service on January 11. However, old equipment will be used on the Vancouver train for at least another week.
In Portland, Me., there will be a groundbreaking ceremony on January 11 for the track work needed for Boston-Portland Amtrak service. The ceremony will be hosted by Wayne Davis of TrainRiders/Northeast, and will feature Gov. Angus King, Amtrak Northeast Acting President Stan Bagley, and members of the Maine Congressional delegation.
The Cincinnati City Council on January 6 unanimously approved a resolution in favor of the Midwest Regional Rail Initiative.
Officials from the Union Pacific and the City of Sacramento had a closed-door meeting on January 6 to discuss the future of the Amtrak station there. City officials say the UP seems to be reneging on a commitment to cooperate on a $19-million station renovation project. UP recently said it wants to move the main line a quarter-mile further north, away from the station, in order to free up more land for development. Capitol Corridor trains terminating in Sacramento could still pull up to the station. The meeting included talk about a people mover to connect the station to all other Amtrak trains.
President Clinton has appointed William Clyburn to the Surface Transportation Board, replacing Gus Owen, whose term expired last week. The President made this a "recess appointment," meaning Clyburn will serve for a year without the need for Senate approval -- though the White House says it will re-submit his name for a full three-year term. Clyburn comes from the staff of Senator Robb (D.-Va.), and before that was a staff counsel to the Senate Commerce Committee. There is another vacancy on the three-member STB, and later this year Republican leaders are expected to name Wayne Burkes, who is a member of the Mississippi Transportation Commission.